Trademark in Algeria
The trademark protection is guaranteed also through the application of conventions. In fact, Algeria joined on March 01, 1966 Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property and on March 05, 1966 the International Nice Classification of Goods and Services for the registration of marks. Also, it joined the Madrid Agreement for the international registration of marks in 1970.
In order to join the World Trade Organization, Algeria issued Order No. 06/03 dated June 19, 2003 in order to adapt to the intellectual property laws and all trade-related rights.
- Filing System: Multi-Class Filing System.
- Registrables: trademarks, service marks, collective marks.
- Time from filing to registration: 3 years.
- Protection (registration) duration: 10 years from filing date.
- Examination type: substantive examination.
- Examination time: 3 years.
- Publications: in the Official Gazette after acceptance.
- Use: a registered mark may be subject for a cancellation action by any interested party if it has not been used for 3 consecutive years.
- Renewal application can be made within: 1years before expiry.
- Renewal duration: 10 years.
- Grace period to renew after expiration: 6 months with penalty
- Method of conducting the search: official search only.
- Trademark/Service Mark Applications
- A simply signed Power of Attorney for each application in French.
- A list of the goods to be covered by the application.
- The name and address of the applicant.
- A certified copy of the priority document.