Trademark in Sudan
Then, the act of 1969 was issued which is currently adopted.
On the international and regional level, Sudan has joined the following conventions in order to ensure an overall protection of trademarks:
- The Convention establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization in 1967 which Sudan has joined in 1974
- The Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property which Sudan has joined in 1984 and the convention establishing the African Regional Intellectual Property Organization for 1977 which Sudan has joined in 1978
- Madrid Agreement concerning the International registration of marks in 1898 which Sudan has joined in 1984
- Madrid Protocol for the international registration of trademarks which Sudan has joined in 2009
- Patent Cooperation Treaty joined by Sudan in 1984
- Harare Protocol on the regional protection of Patents and Industrial Designs joined by Sudan in 1984
- The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works joined by Sudan in 2000
- Filing System: Single-Class Filing System.
- Registrables: trademarks, service marks, collective marks.
- Time from filing to registration: 2 years.
- Protection (registration) duration: 10 years from filing date.
- Examination type: formal and substantive examination.
- Publications: in the Official Gazette after acceptance.
- Use: a registered mark may be subject for a cancellation action by any interested party if it has not been used for 5 consecutive years.
- Renewal duration: 10 years.
- Method of conducting the search: official search only.
- Search for device: possible.
- Time required to complete the search: 10 days.
- POA, notarized
- Certificate of incorporation with English translation, legalized
- Declaration of nationality, simply signed